Wednesday, November 9, 2011

another hit in the kitchen.

since I vowed to not eat meat unless it was local and non-medicated, I haven't really eaten much meat at all. we have to make an extra stop during the week to pick up chicken from a local deli that has non-medicated chicken products and sometimes we just don't get around to it.  when we do have it in the house, I try to limit meat to one dinner per week.  tonight was the night and another one of my experiments in the kitchen turned out deliciously. meatball subs...


I modified this recipe from eat, live, run, which I think I have blogged about previously.

I used:
.75 lbs local non-medicated ground chicken
1 shallot, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 heaping tsp. mrs dash extra spicy
1 tsp. oregano
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup breadcrumbs



combine the milk and breadcrumbs and let sit for 5 minutes. mix all remaining ingredients together including bread crumb mixture and form small meatballs and place on cookie sheet (I put tinfoil on my cookie sheet and lightly greased it) bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

for meatball subs:

 put meatballs in bun- we used portuguese rolls, which were perfect.   place any type of marinara or pizza sauce on top and then sprinkle with cheese and veggies (we used red onion and red pepper).  bake till melted and crispy.


sorry bad quality photo from my phone.

totally hit the spot.  I think I would make a big batch of these meatballs and freeze them separately to use in pastas or subs.  these came together in a flash after D and I got back from yoga because I made the meatballs in the afternoon and then just reheated them for the subs.  so simple and delicious.  I am on a roll this week :)

can't wait for 3 day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment